Monday, January 27, 2014

Life takes a new turn

2013 really stretched me beyond my ability to handle. Especially December

I was happy in India Cements; humour and banter flowed thanks to excellent colleagues. But that system never gave me a chance. Placed at the bottom of the hierarchy, a bulldozer for a reporting manager, three persons to a job, and my impertinent tongue drove me to a situation where I felt walking out was honourable. Being the least ambitious person, I was content with India Cements chiefly for three reasons: proximity to residence, Saravana Bhavan lunch, and job security of a large group. But a cartoon of a manager ensured it was just the writing material for office humour pieces (Damien Bosses). 

Six months of lying idle and the spirit broke. Not even being signed by a prestigious client in Bangalore in November got the blood circulation flowing. My mind was clear on this aspect: money though important would not be the main diet or oxygen. I needed human company in the day. For how long would my existence linger on friends at the Eliots or Theosophical or interaction with the cook? Being in a house for a long period of time reduces your own self-esteem to a pauper and derelict. 

I knew this Abu Dhabi job was in the air, I took an assignment in Kaar Technologies as a content writer on a ONE month basis. The job came with inherent incompatibles – working on a software subject and being at the other end of town. But somehow I psyched myself for my need for human company was greater and besides I needed a rehearsal for the gulf job. For the first time in 8 years I slipped into a mild depression. Thanks to sister’s support and Manisha I am on the recovery path. 

I left Chennai for Abu Dhabi in the first week of January with my heart in the mouth and primal fear churning the stomach. A new place, new colleagues (I must thank Haider Sheikh in particular) and anti-depressants have got some of the colour back on the cheeks. It is winter here and the scale goes as low as 10 degrees in the mornings. I am gaining in mental strength and I hope this new place and new people add something that Chennai crossed out. Quietly optimistic

No comments:

Post a Comment