Sunday, August 13, 2017

Unethical Doctors in Chennai

I am a confirmed case of osteoarthritis.  The problem is so acute that I limp visibly and attract public sympathy on the road. It is quite another matter that I hardly venture out.  I consulted Dr. Velayutham in May and June before getting fortunate to consult Dr. N Ramnarayan.
            Dr. V insisted on “Total Knee Replacement” and prescribed medication for a month. I went to the nearest pharmacy “CapZ N Tabzs” on Devanathan Street, Mandavelli and procured those; it is always better to buy the medicines at the clinic’s place for it is readily available unlike coming to Besant Nagar and searching them.  But within a week, I found an alternate way of treating my swollen, immobile knees and at once these tablets had no utility.
            I kept these old medicines for a while before junking them. There was Flavojoint 500mg and that’s priced at Rs. 394 for a sheet of ten. I had 2 sheets, nearly Rs. 800 worth and I took them to the pharmacies in Besant Nagar asking: Though I have not purchased them here, can you please exchange it for a Horlicks or anything? Couple of them said: this Flavojoint is not usually prescribed; better take it to the pharmacy where you purchased.
            The tablets lay on a shelf for a month before I exerted myself on this account.  Last week, I took a bus to Mandavelli and straight to “Capz N Tabnz”. 
            The assistant at the pharmacist said, “As a policy we don’t take sold medicines back. But wait for the owner.”          
I waited for 10 minutes before another patient came with Dr.V’s prescription – he practises in the next lane – with “Flavojoint – 500mg”. I immediately knew that this doctor and pharmacy worked as a team; this ortho fellow the best saleperson of Sun Pharma for this expensive medicine. I thought: such dishonesty and so unethical.
            The owner came and I made the usual pitch: this is medicines worth Rs. 800. I purchased it from your shop last month. Please take it back, I have changed my doctors and on a new course of treatment.
            He looked at the aluminium foil tablets for expiry date and shook his head, “It’s not possible.”
            I tried one more plea, “How about a Horlicks or whatever. Anyhow I have to junk them, give me one-fourth the value and I am done.”
            The owner was foolishly short-sighted for this is a fast moving drug for him. But he said to a tone of finality, “After GST it is difficult to exchange.”
            I came out of the shop with frustration writ large, found the next municipal garbage can and junked the twin aluminium foil sheets. My heart cried: there goes my Rs. 800 down the drain. My mind cried, “Cheat of a doctor and callous pharmacy.”
            Later in the week I got to meet Mr. Srinivasan, my maternal cousin’s husband, at his posh Karpagam Garden residence. We got talking on doctors and I said, “This fellow Velayutham is a crook,” and described the Flavojoint 500 mg experience.
            Srinivasan said, “Dr. V’s father is a brilliant orthopaedic; this is the useless son spoiling his good reputation.” He then proceeded to give me his take on unethical doctors. He explained: Each time, a dentist advises root-canal treatment for a filling, I know he is dishonest.
            I smiled, “I know those kinds.”
            He continued despite my interruption, “Last year, a dentist advised me root canal and I asked him which canal.  Panama canal or Suez??”
             The sarcasm could not be more dripping and straight. If I was a doctor at the other end, I would have died if a patient spoke to me like this. But then we live in a shameless world.  
            “Another sign of a dishonest ortho is he advises “Total knee Replacement” at the first base; I hate cardiologist who recommend “by pass” surgery and ophthalmologist “Cataract” before exploring other avenues. There are doctors who are waiting on pounce on such easy goat prospects.”
            I said,” These doctors bring a bad name to the entire profession. Dr. N Sundar Bose did not diagnose my tuberculosis way back in 1998 despite being told and that led to my heart surgery six months down the line.”
            Srinivasan said,” Sathya, that’s incompetence. Here I am talking about unethical ones who prescribe surgery options for no rhyme or reason except fatten their wallets.”
            I concluded, “These doctors are no better than Vinayaka Electricals. Bugger each time he comes to change a tubelight, he will replace the entire casing.”
            Srinivasan laughed, “I know Vinayaka, corrupt as hell and a synonym for dishonesty in Adyar.  For replacing a Rs. 50 tubelight that guy will furnish a bill for Rs. 500.”
            I said,” In my life I have respect for Dr. Devi Shetty and his team. Also Sankara Nethralaya. I think Chennai is full of dishonest and unethical doctors. Say 75%”
            My cousin’s husband said,” I would place the black sheep at 40%. There are honest doctors but one-in-two would be my estimate for Chennai.”
            As for me, I said: I am going blog this experience and if anyone were to read about Dr. Velayutham and Caps N Tabsz, let them be forewarned. The medical profession fails because it does not weed out such scamsters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment