Sunday, August 27, 2017

Seeking Mahaperiyava's blessings

Last year when everything seemed one step to the grave; my train had no energy left and vultures hovering around for scavenging, metaphorically of course, so dire was my broken spirits. T H Iyer mama would encourage in his own way, first he said: try Vinayagar Agaval chanting.  The next month he said, “Go to Kanchipuram and seek Mahaperiyava’s blessing.”
            Mahaperiyava is the venerated Acharya of the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham who lived to the ripe age of nearly 100 before he passed over in 1994. My family – every Shaivite Tamil Brahmin family is either attached to the Kanchi Mutt or the Sringeri Mutt– is attached to the Kanchi mutt, meaning our ancestors regarded the Kanchi Acharyas as our family gurus for source of guidance and inspiration. This is not a small thing, almost every year we met our Acharyas and pay respects.
            So somewhere in July or August, 2016, I went to Kanchipuram for a pradakshina around Mahaperiyava’s Samadhi eleven times fervently praying for my redemption. I was dying a slow death and smell of the other side at the nostrils; so when Iyer mama suggested this visit it felt natural and “maybe I should exhaust this source too”. My life miraculously turned around over the last 6 months – thanks to MINDFULNESS studies and my mind after two years of SLEEP pulled itself up and found renewed vigour and purpose. This is a miracle beyond my power of words to convey.
            In the last week of July, 2017 I had this “thanksgiving” visit idea pop in my mind almost to a divine call. Like this thought flashed and I immediately said: let me go to Kanchipuram.
I chose 1st August, 2017 for the date.  I left Besant Nagar at 6:15 and took a bus to Kanchipuram at Tambaram Sanatorium Mofusil depot; the fare is Rs. 38. We left Tamabaram at 7;20 and reached K at 8:45. Travelling through state highway, you get a glimpse of the picturesque Tamil land; school girls in pleats on  oil dripped heads with jasmine (malipoo) and you feel all is well with the world.
            At the Mutt, I bought a rose garland for Rs. 50 (those people are an animated lot and good souls). Walked 12 rounds around the Samadhi; wonder of wonders got an opportunity to speak to the current Acharya Vijendra Sarawathi.
With hands folded I said: I am Sathyanarayanan from Chennai.”
He asked: What do you do? I am content writer.
He still persisted: What do you write on? I said feebly, “Mainly a creative writer, I worked in Times of India but that was some years before.”  
It does not feel right to say: I am unemployed right now and I have come for your blessings or rewind the tape, “Last year I was drowning and thanks to Mahaperiyava’s grace I have sufficiently recovered.”
As Iyer mama suggested, I told the Acharya, “I am a friend of T H Iyer mama; he stays in the same neighbourhood.”
Believe it or not, Sri Vijendra Saraswathi said,”Yeah, I know German Iyer.”
He gave me vibhuti and kum-kum for prasadam packets as I prostrated falling with the burdens of a massive body and super heavy arthritis.
This was sufficient for a Mutt official to wait on me as he led me to Sowmya Arvind Sitaraman.  She is a middle-aged woman in 9 yards and a face that shone with lustre for a bright round face and large bindi.
She asked, “What do you do? What are the topics you write?”
Again I don’t answer such questions well except a meek, “I am a creative writer, I used to work for Femina, then Tattvaloka.  My last assignment was in a gulf as an editor to a Health Magazine.”
I found Ms. Sowmya quite aggressive; the nature of questioning felt more like an interview than two strangers having a small talk. She talked about different types of chanting before introducing herself, “I am author of this book “An introduction to South Indian Festivals” and a documentary film producer.” One look at her, the accents and you’d think: this woman must be either from USA or Europe. Later on, I found that she was a person with some claim to worldwide status. 
She asked about the purpose of my Kanchipuram visit and I said, “Last year I was down in the darkest depression and I came here for Mahaperiyava’s blessings. It worked and this is my thanksgiving trip.”
Then we got into a tangle, something provoked in me as I needlessly went on a counter offensive, “Actually I am more a Buddhist than a Tamil Brahmin. I don’t perform daily Sandhya Vandanams and monthly tharpanams.”
            The worldwide fame of “An introduction to South Indian festival’ reacted like a spring coil, “By not doing the tharpanams, you are making your ancestors go thirsty.”
            If I had an ounce of wisdom, I would have beamed, nodded wisely, and shrank away. But I am a 48 year moron as I rallied forth on a tennis court in which I was sure to lose the game, “Please don’t give me this guilt trip. I have settled my personal debts with those alive and dead.”
            This interaction spoilt the mood a bit though I continued to be high. I was in a pious mind for the 11 pradakshina around the Samadhi and the current pontiff spoke to me. So on balance, this was more than I could have bargained for. 
            I came out of the Mutt an hour later and got into a share auto. The fare came to Rs. 5 and my wallet had just one note: Rs.500. I shrugged my shoulders for apologies and the driver said, “it’s okay sir. Maybe next time, you will get into my auto with the correct fare.”
            Had a sumptuous breakfast at 10:30 am – my tummy was fast filling with gas for I have been hungry since waking up at 5:00 – and the Rs. 500 note changed. Hailed a bus to Chennai and this went through Sriperumbudur, Poonamallee, Madharavoyal and Koyembedu.  Each time a bus enters Chennai, they take a different route. I went to Kanchipuram in under two hours in the onward and now it was four hours for me to get back to Besant Nagar. A personal car would have covered the distance in 90 minutes. Maybe, for next year’s thanksgiving I have this toy too was a remnant thought of a good productive day. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm from Malaysia, planning to visit Kanchi mahaperiyar samadhi for blessings. Hope I get his blessings too 🙏
    Thank you for sharing this insight.

    ReplyDelete