Saturday, September 2, 2017

August friends

I love Besant Nagar for this reason alone: I run into old friends. I used to walk in the Theosophical Society for decades for a huge haul of friends but in last three years my arthritis knees can no longer do 4 kilometres.  
            I ran into Rao garu and his sister Varalakshmi in the middle of August.  Mr. Rao has a face with the largest grin and that makes the other loosen up instantly. We met in years and exchanged hellos.
            I said,” I need a spell in the Gulf to set right my finances. Besides I have this M90 flat issue where a corrupt doctor is driving us nuts.”
            I explained all about SYNAPSE clinic and Vara, his sister broke in, “Please don’t get into a fight. Just sell and go,” and even went on to furnish a real estate broker’s name.
            She reasoned: Your apartment on Seventh Avenue has a big problem. Keep your gob shut. You are desperately trying to sell; don’t lose sight of the fact that they are people who are desperate to buy an apartment in Besant nagar.”
Varalakshmi made it convincing with a vivid imagery: It is like a man who is desperate to divorce his wife and there is another ready to grab her. So never de-market your flat with your big mouth.”
            I turned to Rao garu and said,” God, I never knew you had such a wise sister.”
            The lady was in devastating form and in a zone; Sathya, when Shiva cut off Brahma’s fifth head, HE had committed Brahmahatti dosham. The head remained stuck in Shiva’s hand and after years of penance and expiation, HE found a way to get rid of the face. Each time he dipped his hands in the Ganges, the face would sink down. But the moment he took his hand off the brook, the face would attach itself. Your problem is like that; get rid of this flat and you’ll find your retirement days lighter. This is no time or place for heroics. You don't stand a chance taking on these political heavyweights.”
            I loved the fable and Rao garu must have seen the impact of the tale on my mind as he joked, “My sister is too wise for all of us.” Both Rao and Vara were people I used to meet in my good old TS walking days.
+          +          +          +          +          +          +          +
Then in the Eliot’s Beach, I narrated my SYNAPSE troubles to TNEB retired Krishnamurthy. At 70, he has a rich crop of hair, ready smile and instant likeability especially as he greets us with “Loka Samastha Sukino Bhava”.  
He advised, “Sathya, this is no time to take on politicians for we have all passed into the age of oblivion.”
Then he told me a lovely story: in 1997 I used to teach in Anna University and would take a bus at Besant Nagar terminus to Guindy. As I was getting in, a college going boy rushed out so forcefully that I was thrown off balance and I fell on the road. What made it worse was the driver ran over my knees! Others shouted as the driver applied brakes. I was badly mauled and one set of passengers suggested that we take the bus to the police station and register a complaint. There was another office going crowd that felt that I should not delay the bus, instead rush to a hospital. I found that those who suggested the Police were in no mood to help me; the poor bus driver had leaked in his pants. I told the crowd that it is definitely not his mistake; while the terrified college boy ran for his life as soon as he saw me hit the ground. I took an auto and went to the hospital; it showed a cracked bone and I spent a week as an in-patient and months recuperating.  Now tell me Sathya, what could I have done any different? Sometimes we find ourselves in hopeless and desperate situations, take it in your stride, don’t mop and lament. On your M90 issues, sell and go and buy peace for yourself.”
            I shook his hands in genuine warmth and respect saying, “You have strength of character I can never reach.”
What made it impactful was Krishnamurthy’s narration; the smiling face never frowned and not a shred of malice in his voice as the word flowed with a smooth flourish.  
             Still smiling and eye gleaming, he rubbed his hands as we sat on the promenade wall with the sun rising at Eliot’s Beach behind our backs saying,” Consider that you have gifted the FREE COMMON SPACE to Synapse and not as a land grab. The mind is a funny thing; give your troubling thoughts a good spin at least for the sake of your emotional health.”
            I came home and wrote the words “pass into oblivion” and “Yes, I donated the FREE COMMON SPACE” and at once felt good positive vibrations flooding the mind.
+          +          +          +          +          +          +          +
I had a lousy retainer arrangement with a Delhi based company on social media content for the first half of 2017- 20 k for half an hour work is not morale crushing but I don't break-even.
              This arrangement went for 6 months before I felt the strain. The man I work is  a prized jerk - he is a rabid BJP baiter to the point of participating in dharnas and stone-pelting besides he piles on guilt at every opportunity.  I don't even have a voter ID and politics is the last thing on my mind. I am more like that song in Tamil: It does not matter whether Rama rules or Ravana; my prime focus is to light at least a 40 w bulb on my doorstep
             I worked with Ramesh on content before and when I approached him for work, he said," Sathya, forget content writing for a while. We live in times where we need to have couple of streams of income. How about corporate training? Your spoken English is good and I am sure you can hold your ground on this domain."
            I was not so optimistic though," If I can't succeed in the area of my expertise, it feels too heavy a burden to convince the mind I can do better in a new one."
           Ramesh laughed, " We will, when you are forced to adapt. Sathya, step out of your comfort zone for once, you might discover new talents in you."
          And so I agreed and he said, " I will help you out on venue and gather a crowd. From there it is your show."
          I came home and did a course schedule and course fees; I get 10 participants and the show should hit the road. I spoke to Prithvi, a common friend who said, " Ramesh is marketing your communication workshop. I intend enrolling my son who is in engineering final year. Knowing you, it will do him a lot of good." Strangers are friends when they see your virtues even when you don't. I am moved by Prithvi's enthusiasm and Ramesh's marketing efforts for a vote of confidence I don't store much on myself. 
+          +          +          +          +          +          +          +
Suloch is my neighbour; he resides right under on the ground floor while my quarters is on the first. Before going to Africa after his monthly annual vacation, he said, “Lord Jesus has a miracle for you. By the time I come back in 2018 you would be rich, happy and I foresee a girl in your arms.”
            I said, “A simple earning of 50 k earnings a month from home is good enough.”
            “Sathya, you don’t know your worth. Mail me your resume, I have friends in Dubai. Let’s cast our nets, anyone would be lucky to have you as a writer.”
            We have been neighbours for over two decades and now we address each other as “Brother Suloch” and “Brother Sathya.” He started the brother thing and I love the sound of it; be it in mails or as a waving goodbye.
+          +          +          +          +          +          +          +
Then how can I forget the 70 year old Chris. He said, “Sathya, how about a holiday to Thailand, Veitnam for a sex tourism?”
I said,” Love to but no money in the wallet now. Long drought in earnings.”
Instinctively he said, “I know, you bum. I am a millionaire many times over, be part of my entourage and I will give wine, women and air-tickets. Your job is to give me company, just bring your humour along.”
I laughed it off. You bet, I will never enjoy a holiday with another man’s purse.
August has been richer with these moments. So a blog post for a store of good memories, so few these days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment