Sunday, September 29, 2019

Gopalan, my third student

#145
In the second half of 2017 Ramesh, a good friend, said, “Sathya, forget content writing for it is not getting you any money. Why not try Soft skills training?” I allowed myself to be persuaded for I had nothing to lose and within 2-3 months I worked out a 12 hours content on “effective communication” without Google search. There are certain aspects of life nature has blessed me in bountiful measure; “content sourcing” is one of them. My content for “effective communication” would stalk against the best in the world for it was based on my life experience – no cop out options like Edward De Bono’s “lateral thinking” or “different colours of hats” or the much abused “Johari window” instead my content dwelt on “communication strategies at thought, feeling and emotion” for a wholly self-designed course. I am not given to beating my trumpet but when I do, nail it on the wall as a self-evident truth.
            Further encouraged by friends, I advertised this course in “Adyar Times” after engaging a conference hall in a business centre.  I signed two students both from well-meaning friends as Prithvi said, “Sathya, I want my son to be your first student” and Ramprasad said, “I will sponsor one of my employees.” Then I had Mr. Gopalan who signed as the third participant and this blog post is all about him!
            It was strange for a 48 years old to mentor a 70 years old who said this on the phone for a self-introduction, “My wife keeps finding fault with me, I want to attend your communication course to learn if I can manage better.” I had grave misgivings about having a student like this; it felt the person had more a need of a clinical psychologist than a soft skills trainer. But I said, “Please come along and I will see what I can do.”
            The moment I met, I realize that Mr. Gopalan was no diffident man needing a couch at a shrink but a man of the world – spry mind, self-deprecating humour, and full of banter.  He served in high echelons in the corporate sector and USA or Europe bound almost every year. After the first class I said, “I don’t know whether I have anything to teach you. I feel I have much to learn for our interactions.” He paid the money and that felt a grave miscarriage of justice as he observed, “What is 5 k for 12 sessions? I am a rich man and can easily afford it.”
In the first class I was telling about the “mistakes of a poor communicator” with movie scenes to highlight my point, after a while he said,” Sathya, it’s getting heavy for the day. Shall we continue this lesson in the next class?” Of course I readily assented for he was the sole student!
            Each time he comes visiting my place, Gopalan never comes with an empty hand. He always gets “Adyar Ananda Bhavan mixture and a packet of sweets.” He is full of tales and humour, “Sathya, I feel sad that you have no occupation. Take my advice, select five companies and send your resume to the CEO and I am sure they will revert.” I had grown far too cynical for such an enterprise though he insisted, “Sathya, when I was young I was saddled with a poor job. Each day I would apply to five companies until I joined Seshasayee Paper & Boards Limited where I worked as a PA to the chairman for 3 decades. I retired in the “General Manager” rank, those were wonderful years. Many a time, I would put in over 12 hours for years on the job, working for Mr. Vishwanathan was one of the best things of my career and life.”
            Gopalan would fill me with details of his family, “I allow my wife to dominate me. My daughter is in London and she brings a lot of happiness with a son-in-law a senior Director in Cognizant. On the other hand, my son is a recurring problem; twice divorced and now on the lookout for a third marriage.”  One could sense his smartness as he narrated this tale, “Once my son resigned his job in Texas and came home here in Besant Nagar say in 2010 times. He simply had no stomach for America. The entire family knew it was a grave mistake. We bribed an astrologer to counsel him that “India is no place for him and that his stars shine only in the West”. That stratagem worked as he returned to America within three weeks. Now he is happily settled and risen to a Director of a Fortune 500 MNC.”  
Those were the days - December, 2017 times - I was refurbishing M90/4 by laying floor tiles and when I told him I was looking for new furniture, he said, “I have a grand piece that I want to dispose. It’s taking too much space; it will be perfect for you. I got them at Modfurn for 30 k three years back. Have a look, if you like then I will more than happy to sell it to you.” I went to his house, saw the leather sofa and fell in love straightaway as we shook hands for a deal. The same afternoon it was delivered and it’s the best piece of my home now.  
And then we met yesterday as he landed at my house with a bottle of premium coffee (worth Rs. 475), a local brand of coffee decoction, and a I kg of sugar – it would have costed no less than Rs. 600. It felt too flattering and undeserving to accept the gifts, as I said, “I wish my sisters would have done something similar. Thanks a million,” as I rushed to give anything of a gift value in return. I found couple of apples and a bunch of bananas as return gift. He was excited about his new villa purchase in Kumbakonam as he explained: Each month I visit Kumbakonam for a break from Chennai. We have a small villa of 600 sq feet. He was so adamant that I take a look, “Sathya, please take a look at this property for it is ideal for you – there is a central mess for three squares, the property is a gated community facing the Cauvery river. There are historical temples alround and we allow only a Brahmin crowd.” Gopalan advertised this property in “Adyar Times” on behalf of the promoters and closed 2 sales deals, “Sathya, unwittingly I made 4 lacs in commissions after I sold two units. The promoter is so pleased with me that he has appointed me “Director of Marketing.” If this is not resourcefulness, then pray what is I wonder. He tells me, “Sathya, there are earning opportunities everywhere but somehow you don’t seem to find them. You are living in a world of Buddha and Mindfulness perhaps.” 
Yesterday I tell him, “I always have 13-15 lacs idling in my HDFC savings account. Only today I opened a Kotak Mahindra savings bank account for 6% interest rate.” Gopalan says, “I know the Bank Manager of Shastri Nagar Branch very well.” Without losing a moment, he speaks to the manager saying, “Sathya is my best friend and I am giving you a high network account. Please take care of him, assign him your best relationship manager.” It’s this kind of enterprise and friendliness that makes Gopalan such a welcoming person wherever he goes.
As for me, Gopalan Sir is the best return on human investment in years as I got a 60 k leather sofa for 10 k, I get Adyar Ananda Bhavan sweets and now coffee decoction. I was telling Ranga at the monthly whisky drink at Maris, “Gopalan taught me the importance of gifting and visiting friends. Rs. 500 is not much an expense for it brings a lot of happiness and bonding.” Ranga said, “Sure it is a good lesson for insular tambrahms.”  As for me each time I see Mr. Gopalan it is that beaming smile that comes to mind, he sure brings a truckload of positive energy along with the Adyar Ananda Bhavan savouries and sweets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment