Friday, September 13, 2019

Compliments matter

#141 post
Today I was at Vishranti as usual for breakfast. Ran into Yohanan who is fast turning out to be a good friend. He introduced me to his friend saying, "Harsha, this is Sathya. He is a top class writer. If you want anything on mindfulness or meditation or anything on the workings of the mind,  I can't think of a better person than him." The other man said, "It's such a privilege to meet someone so accomplished." As I walked out of the restaurant my mind swelled with pride. It is important that I am thought of so high at least in my neighbourhood.
            Dhamma Mani Sir had invited me for his grandson’s ayusha homam (celebrated when a baby turns one) on 6th August. I went to the function at the other end of town, he greeted me with a profuse smile. I did not know anyone in the assembled gathering as my sole host was busy smiling and shaking hands all over. For 10-15 minutes I felt strangely alone. And after a few moments Dhamma Mani Sir introduced me to his son, “This is Sathya, the writer.” The son said spontaneously, “I have heard so much about you from dad.” That moment felt special.
            On 19th August I walked into the FUTURES class at Mumbai. Kapil the instructor was in the midst of explaining his credentials as in his past experience, education levels and trading experience for an introduction to the class. He saw me just for a moment and gave me a huge beaming smile. That moment was again special.
            After the end of the FUTURES course, I wrote a blog post of that experience and sent it to all my classmates in Mumbai. Priyank Panchal wrote in the comments section: Sathya you filled the classroom with a lot of positive vibes which spreads across to everyone. I am so grateful to meet a charismatic person like you. Parth another classmate wrote: It’s so detailed. I wish I could write with such dedication; it was a pleasure running into you. Another friend of many years wrote: Normally I don’t read your blogs at all. This time I opened and it was un-put-down-able. What makes a compliment a cherished one is the genuineness and spontaneity. It does boost my morale on a rainy day, I record every compliment I get for my writing or in person as a person crediting money in a savings account.
            I will never forget this, actually this incident was the trigger for this post. It was day-4 of the OPTIONS class; I was exhausted and dispirited towards the end of the day as we had a short coffee break. An elderly gentleman (say 60+) was having a hurried lunch. Even as he was downing the biryani in his mouth, he said, “Hello, Sathya how are you?” I felt abashed for not placing the figure as he answered to my bemused look, “I was in the FUTURES class. You were the most unforgettable face in that crowd. Man, you have some personality when you open your mouth.” Till that point every moment of that Mumbai stay felt heavy on the mind; this one compliment got in all of endorphins. I simply shook my head in gratitude and shook his hands. His name is Anand and I am not going to forget the visual imprint of this encounter in a while.
            For me the best memory is this: Around 2000 when I was taking a stroll in the Theosophical Society, I greeted Brigadier Mehta and T H Iyer mama who were walking together. T H Iyer mama said on sight, “Sathya, I am having a private conversation and so please keep off.” The rebuff did hurt me a while but now after nearly 20 years he is my best friend and well-wisher. I have certainly grown as a person in this time. There is little chance of anyone saying this to me today. Nothing gives more pleasure than when people who put you down once-upon-a-time sing your praises today. Nothing comes remotely close.

No comments:

Post a Comment