Saturday, August 31, 2019

Learning on “love” from movies

#140
At times you watch a movie; nothing about it stands out but a couple of dialogues. They make you reflect your own ideas in the head or you could be so carried away that you aver, “If I have an occasion to say this in reality, I certainly would," for a rich dose of impressionism. 
            There is this beautiful scene between Jai and Nayantara in the movie “Raja Rani”. The two lovers go to a church, kneel down to pray between the pews. Jai asks innocently, “Are we made-for-each-other?” She responds brilliantly, “Nobody is made-for-each-other from birth. We become made-for-each-other in the manner we live.”
            Then I watched “Ispade rajavum idhaya raniyum” (King of Spades, Queen of hearts) on Hotstar for even more learning. The hero is a maniac, he gets angry and violent easily for little or no provocation. The audience feels sad for the heroine for choosing such an irascible chap. Gautam is very possessive about Tara and her parents are looking elsewhere for a marriage alliance. This guy is so peeved and works himself to a frenzy; he drags her to a marriage registrar office out of the blue, “Let’s get married now. Just your signature and I can breathe easy.” Tara says, “We did not meet for four days, yet I felt your presence throughout. Now I am with you yet we are a million miles away. Marriage is no guarantee even after sex, the only guarantee for a happy marriage is trust.”
            The hero Gautam keeps threatening her, “You ditch me, I will kill you with a knife.” Tara says, “Don’t speak like a fool. Gautam when you are in love, speak with caution for each of your action is now driving me further away. In love learn to trust and learn to wait.” It so happens that Tara agrees to an arranged marriage brought by her parents but as she is getting dressed in bridal wear her mind revolts. She tells her dad, “No I can’t do it. When it comes to the test, I am still in love with Gautam and my mind can’t accept anyone else.” The story climaxes thus: Gautam learns of Tara’s marriage and comes brandishing a butcher's knife even as she gets off an auto to meet him. She hugs him saying, “I couldn’t go through the wedding for I only love you.” Gautam is now contrite saying, “I don’t deserve you at all. One moment I was about to stab you to pieces,” as he takes off to the mountains in the North for a bit of soul searching: How could I be such a heartless bum ready to plunge a knife on a beloved?" His cellphone shows Whatsapp message from Tara: 4 days I have not seen you. I am sorry. Please connect. She repeatedly keeps messaging: 24 days without speaking or hearing from you. I will always come looking for you. I am now in Himachal Pradesh in search of you. The hero smiles and takes her call as the movie rolls the titles. It was a lousy movie but the plot gripped me and the dialogues.
            After seeing the movie my first reaction was “pUsHpA never loved me at all.” I suffer a lot of nightmares and the themes are invariably the same: failing in exams at the school or university level or I am being kicked out from the house by my parents. pUsHpA doesn’t figure in my slumber but yesterday my mind had this rich video running: I am working in a place where this female is my colleague. I avoid her though placed in her company; there is a hearty chap who keeps probing: Sathya, why do you avoid this female? I tell him, “We were snakes and mongoose in our previous life. And in that encounter the snake came up trumps.”

No comments:

Post a Comment