Sunday, March 1, 2020

March Misgivings

#163
This year was supposed to be a Consolidation year, but there are no green shoots of growth as of now. This loan has now become a knotty thorn, I pray that this month provides a solution.
            Yesterday I had a drink with Ranga at Maris and that’s the reason for this blog post. He has an original mind, greater in depth than me. I plan to use this medium to capture yesterday’s thoughts:
a)     Sathya, if you have noticed that even a sober guy acts animated in a group. You will always find group conversations at a bar boisterous where people shout to get themselves heard. It shows poor character to me. You only talk in two situations: a) where you are respected enough such that the other person waits to listen without interrupting, b) you open your mouth to add to a discussion and not noise.
b)     When I told him that self-love saved me from moodswings, he said, “It’s wrong usage of the word self-love.” You mean “you stopped blaming yourself and you were immediately healed.”
c)      Tambrahms are not ritualistic, Sathya as you keep parroting. They are highly conformist. I am Telugu Brahmin and there are no constraints my community imposes on me; I can be me. But in the case of a tambrahm, non-conformity becomes headline news. There is so much pressure to fall in life – that’s why you’ll see the maximum chanting crowd in a temple, or performing rituals like Amavasya tharpanam, or non-smoking or non-drinking made into a such a virtue.
d)     When I was cribbing about my siblings lack of care, he said, “Sathya, only you can define your duties for you. You have no right to conceptualize on other’s duties. Do so and you’ll find misery clinging on to you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment